Skin Authority’s Celeste Hilling Gives Tips To A Sun-Safe Summer
Have you ever – Skipped sunscreen because you are running late? Dug to the bottom of your beach bag for last year’s bottle and actually used it? Forgotten to re-apply sun protection while spending the day outside? Beauties, you are committing sun safety fails! We caught up with beauty and healthy skin expert, Celeste Hilling, CEO of Skin Authority, for tips on keeping your skin sun-safe all summer long.
6 TIPS TO SUN-SAFE SKIN:
The misconceptions about sun safety can definitely harm you. One in five Americans are found to have skin cancer in their lifetime, while only one in five people wear sunscreen on a daily basis. (Source: Harris Interactive). Let’s make a dent in those statistics by being sun-safe. These six tips will help you be healthy, educated and free of sun spots:
- Learn to read a label. Check the SPF number; those with SPF 15 or greater yield the best results. Scan the active ingredient label to make sure the product contains UVA- blocking elements such as titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or anything in the avobenzone family.
- Even if you’re indoors, you need to wear a sunscreen with full-spectrum protection from both UVA and UVB rays. Most of the sun exposure that ages us comes from the windows of our car, home or office. When it’s cloudy, UVB rays are scattered, but the aging UVA rays still come through. A full-spectrum sunscreen will capture those A rays before they cause damage. My favorite full-spectrum sunscreen is from Skin Authority – Sunscreen Moisturizer SPF 30 Full Spectrum.
- Don’t fry, re-apply. While at the beach or other sun-drenched locations, re-apply your sunscreen at least every two hours. Re-apply immediately after swimming or sweating. For maximum coverage, put on at least a shot-glass size amount of sunscreen.
- Do not use the same bottle of sunscreen for years. The active ingredients in sunscreens deteriorate over time, so toss a bottle after 12 months.
- Get your C on! Double up on safety by using a 20 percent concentration of topical Vitamin C under your sunscreen. The extra C boosts the immune defense of your skin cells against UV damage, while reducing the appearance of brown spots. I use Skin Authority’s Super-C Serum every morning under my sunscreen.
- Go For a Sunless Glow. There are so many great self-tanners out there to help you avoid sun damage. My favorite product for a sunless glow is Skin Authority’s Sunless Tanner.
A few self-tanning tips
- If you have freckles or hyperpigmentation, I recommend you only use the products from the neck down because sunless tanners will make them darker. Instead, use a mineral bronzer, BB cream or CC cream on your face.
- Also, don’t go into the sun for several hours after putting on bronzing products because they contain chemicals that make skin more sensitive to sun exposure. Instead, apply these products later in the day and sleep in them.
About the author: With two decades in the beauty and skin care industries, Celeste Hilling is the Founder, CEO and Product Formulator for Skin Authority. Skin Authority is respected for developing pure and powerful products without the use of parabens, added fragrance, dyes or animal testing. More on www.skinauthority.com, Facebook at Skin Authority, Twitter @SkinAuthority and @MissSkin.